Connecting the people of Yorkshire

The Robins avoid defeat in 2-2 draw against Nostell Miners Welfare


Selby Town v Nostell Miners Welfare
Saturday 17/9/16
NCEL Division One
Report by Elliot Redmond


Town welcomed lowly Nostell Miners Welfare to the FPH stadium on Saturday looking to avoid their third defeat in a week after a below par performance away at Grimsby, a minutes silence was held before kick-off to remember Daniel Wilkinson who sadly passed away playing for Shaw Lane on Tuesday evening. 
The game started brightly for the home side who found themselves 2-0 up inside 6 minutes, Jackson setting up Flanagan for the first and Morley doubling the lead on 6 minutes after catching the Nostell defence out of position. 
On 17 minutes Flanagan forced Watson into a solid save- Town with plenty of chances to further extend their lead in the opening half an hour. Nostells first real shot on goal came on 33 minutes and their first goal came just three minutes later, Donachie with a scrappy finish after Town failed to clear the second of two consecutive corners to give the away side a lifeline, with Town seemingly in the driving seat. 
There was time for a couple more missed chances before the break- Brook and Jackson both missing the target on the back of good go forward from Gowan, there was also time for a Nostell equaliser. A corner in the 44th minute found its way to the edge of the area, a well struck volley from defender Kellett found its way through everyone in the box and sailed into the back of the net to complete the unlikely Nostell comeback. 
The second half was a quite an evenly matched affair, Town were their own worst enemy as they now looked to save a point after letting a 2 goal lead slip. The Robins had a good amount of territory with large spells of the game being played out in the Nostell half, but once again retaining the ball appeared to be an issue for the home side. 
The best chance of the half fell to Brook on 70 minutes who found himself on the end of a pin point cross from Josh O’Neill, Brook however failed to convert a golden opportunity and the chance went begging. Town saw three players receive yellow cards in the opening 20 minutes of the half, first Morley, then Jackson and Brook.
Ash Hope entered the fray and made some good defensive plays following his introduction, Gowan, Morley and Ramsey also put in decent performances but Town couldn’t find an equaliser, and as the game wore on it looked more likely that the points would be shared. 
In the 85th minute Town were reduced to 10 men as Brook received his second yellow for what the referee deemed to be a dive in the penalty area, a brave decision in front of the Robins faithful who were shouting for a penalty. The final whistle came and it was two points lost following the first half collapse, Town will have to up their game as they host the high flying Pontefract Collieries on Tuesday.

via: Pitchero

Venturing out of Yorkshire to Nottinghamshire? Check out this in a Nottingham Pub

Serious Assault in York, Police urgently call for witnesses