In its re-scheduling of time tables Virgin East Coast is adding a late service between London Kings Cross and York. Each weekday it will leave London at 10:57pm and arrive into York at 01:30am
The new timetables will come into effect on the 12th December. There are also extra Sunday services to London and extra services heading up to Yorkshire. However these will stop at Doncaster and Leeds.
The introduction of extra services is to meet customer demand. The company has stated it will be great for those travelling to London for shopping and christmas festivities.
Virgin is currently updating its train stock with the introduction of Azuma trains in 2018.
- The trains will include - Faster acceleration: The Azumas will accelerate more quickly, slicing up to 22 minutes off East Coast journeys and making 4hr London-Edinburgh journeys, and 2hr London-Leeds journeys, the norm. They will accelerate from 0-125mph around a minute quicker than the current fleet1
- New direct services: The faster journeys will make direct routes to new destinations such as Middlesbrough and Huddersfield possible, as well as a big increase in through services to places such as Harrogate and Lincoln
- Greater comfort: The trains will have some of the best leg-room on the rail network, as well as ergonomically designed seats in both first and standard
- Virgin’s unique feel: Both the interior and the exterior of the new fleet with have that distinctive Virgin atmosphere
- Lower emissions: The trains will be lighter and more energy efficient, making them some of the most environmentally friendly in the UK
- Improved facilities: The trains will have faster and free Wi-Fi, an improved traffic-light reservation system2, power sockets for every seat and more overhead luggage space
- Buffet cars: An onboard shop is a key part of the experience for passengers