Connecting the people of Yorkshire

Selby Pub Ordered to close after violent assault


A famous pub in Selby has been shut down by council officials and police following a violent attack that has left a man in a critical condition. Three men have been arrested in connection with the assault which happened on Tuesday, April 1, at JT Mellanby's in Finkle Street. A man in his fifties with serious injuries and in a critical condition is in Hull Royal Infirmary. JT Mellanby's formally known as the Elizabethan is set to close.

On Monday 7th April, police applied to Selby District Council's Licensing sub-committee for an "expedited summary review" of the venue, which agreed to suspend the licence immediately, ahead of a full licensing review which will take place at the end of the month.

Inspector Michelle Falkingham of Selby Police, said: “Our prime concern is the safety of members of the public and following the incident on April 1 and concerns about the management of the pub, we felt that an immediate closure was necessary to ensure the safety of members of the public. Members of the public should be able to enjoy a night out in safety and if we feel that their safety is compromised, we will not hesitate to take action. The licence holder had also not ensured that there were safe systems or adequate staff and equipment in order to promote the licensing objectives. In addition to this the sub committee noted a previous licensing review and other incidents that had occurred."

A spokeswoman for Selby District Council said the sub-committee had "no confidence in the ability of the management". She continued saying "The incident had failed to be dealt and managed in a manner that would reasonably be expected of a responsible manager of licensed premises.''

A regular at the pub, Paul Harrow, stated, i have been going to the Elizabethan / JT Mellanby's for over 25 years in that time i have only seen a couple of incidents, it is a great shame that my local will close. However i do agree that management of late does not take incidents that happen very seriously. It is a shame for Selby as we have a thriving nightlife and incidents like this will scare people from coming into the town.

A police report which was shown to the sub-committee showed there were approximately twenty people fighting at the venue, and that the management of the bar did not phone the police when asked to by a member of the public. Furthermore the report claims several men were not ejected from the premises prior to the attack, CCTV showed drunk people being served alcohol by staff throughout the evening, and staff stepped over the unconscious man while clearing glasses for about 15 minutes.

This venue is not without its problems police have been called to the venue where a man was found with a cut to his face and hand. There have been several other instances of men and women fighting outside the venue.

A 24-year-old Castleford man was charged with affray and wounding with intent following the incident, and appeared before magistrates in York on Thursday. He will appear before York Crown Court at a later date.

Two other men were arrested, one aged 45 from Blackburn and one aged 32 from Bootle they now remain on bail while enquiries continue.

The injured man is still in Hull Royal Infirmary in a critical condition. If you have any details of what happened in this assault please email us at

(EXCLUSIVE) Press Release for land next to Drax Power Station

Clifford's Tower lit up yellow for the Tour de France